Thursday, March 31, 2016

Final Four Baby!

My alma mater, The University of Southern Mississippi, had a very good basketball team my senior year. I loved it. Not because I was in any way interested in basketball - or any sport for that matter, but because my three roommates were.  When they went to the games to cheer on the Golden Eagles, I would have the apartment to myself for up to three glorious hours. It was my own little nirvana.



Time goes on. Some things change and some things stay the same.

This year, Daughter's school, The University of North Carolina, has a very good basketball team. I love it.  This time it is not for the peace and quiet of an empty home - frankly, I get a little too much of that these days - but because I am actually interested in the sport.



I cannot really say how that change occurred. Honestly, with my natural competitiveness, it is weird that it has taken me this long to get onto the team sports bandwagon. And of course, here in The Triangle, the team sport defaults to college basketball.

We got to go to rounds one and two of March Madness in Raleigh. They were the first basketball games I have ever been to, other than the time California Boy played rec ball in the fourth grade. It was great fun, made even better by the fact that Carolina won both of their games.

Thanks to excellent coaching and team work, Carolina has made it all the way to the Final Four. Thanks to a friend at work, I scored Final Four tickets, and Yankee and I are headed to Houston. Go Heels!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment