Friday, March 4, 2016

Goodbye and Hello

I had always planned to trade in the mini-van when College Girl graduated from high school. Now that she is a second semester junior, I finally did it.


Sally IV



I hung onto the Debate Mobile (her legal name was Sally IV, but more on that later) for so long for several reasons. One was that she was a great car. At 165,000 miles, I never had any engine trouble with her, she was very comfortable and had plenty of room for all of my stuff. I just hated spending money replacing her when she was perfectly serviceable. The only issue with her was she was getting a bit long in the tooth so to speak. She had lots of driver-induced digs and scratches on the outside. On the inside the dash was cracked and peeled.

Reliability is important, but as a REALTOR, I need a car that looks good as well , so with I traded her in for this beautiful Acura RDX.

Clearly I have a type: I like my men Italian and my cars red.

It was a day of mixed emotions. I was could not believe how sad I was about letting the van go, but really it should not have come as a surprise. I had driven her for 12 years. The kids were in elementary school and middle school when we got her and now one has graduated from college and the other is not far behind. A whole lot of living went on in that car, and it is sad to see that era come to an end. On the other hand the new car is uber nice, so it makes the change a little easier.

The van's name was Sally IV. My grandmother called all of her cars Sally. When she died, I continued the tradition. But this new car seems to want a different name - Baby. No she's not a '67 Chevy Impala taking me and my sibling across the country to fight Supernatural beings, but I still think she's cool like that in her way. She can take my around Wake County selling real estate. It is almost the same thing. Although with a name like Baby, Hubby pointed out I can never park her in the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment